Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Favorite War Movie

Luukas Maki
    Luukas Maki
    Panssarijääkäri

Favorite War Movie Empty Favorite War Movie

Post  Luukas Maki Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:55 pm

I am going to say some of the most enjoyable war movies i've seen have been most of the older ones. Cross of Iron is one of my favorite. Ill have to say Kelly's Heroes and Von Ryans Express were excellent also if you want to call them "war movies". I find much of the newer war movies are missing a little something or seem like they are trying to hard. Such movies like Enemy at the Gates and Pearl Harbor are essentially spiral into a love story in hopes of attaining more viewers at the box office. I did however think Ed Harris performance as Ed Harris Major König one of the best, it's sad that the rest of the cast couldn't do the same. Any of you guys have any comments of some of the recent war movies coming out?
    Vilho Hannula
    Vilho Hannula
    Kersantti

Favorite War Movie Empty Talvisota, Unknown Soldier, Tali-Ihantala 1944

Post  Vilho Hannula Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:41 am

Talvisota - Tells the story of the Lapua infantry regiment in Winter war in the one of the biggest battles at Taipaleenjoki (Taipaleriver).
    My self i think this is one of the movies that every Finn and people who is interested about winter war should see.

Unknown Soldier/Tuntematon sotilas - Tells the story of Karelian Machinegun company during the summer 1941 attacks to 1944 Tali-Ihantala battle. This movie is showed every Finland independent day on 6. December. You are not Finn if you havent seen this movie.

Tali-Ihantala 1944 - Tells the story of Finnish side in battle of Tali-Ihantala. In this movie there is no actually characters, movie is almost like an documentary but its a good one. If you want to see Finnish tanks in action (Stug, T-34/76 and KV-1), you should see this movie.

Last edited by Vilho Hannula on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    Hannes Öhman
    Hannes Öhman
    Panssarijääkäri

Favorite War Movie Empty Re: Favorite War Movie

Post  Hannes Öhman Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 am

I feel like I'm going on overwalked ground here but I think the Band of Brothers documentary series is probably one of the greatest masterpeices of all time. Saving Private Ryan was also extremely good.

Letters from Iwo Jima is very unique in the sense that you can see the Pacific war from the view of an unwilling Japanese infantry man. It shows you just how hopeless war can be sometimes although I think that is the story behind most, if not all, war movies with the exception of government propaganda.
    Luukas Maki
    Luukas Maki
    Panssarijääkäri

Post  Luukas Maki Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47 am

Band of Brothers is a good one, unlike a movie it has the ability to spread its attention in more places since it is a series and takes its time with things. I found Downfall an interesting movie to watch mainly because it managed to avoid making a bias and instead just showed things for what they were and left the audience to judge. I was actually reading that Downfall was criticized for taking this sort of stance because they "humanized" the Nazis instead of making them look like monsters.
    Hannes Öhman
    Hannes Öhman
    Panssarijääkäri

Post  Hannes Öhman Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Well, you have to look at war from all sides. I've read Mein Kampf before, it was such a terrible book that I had to read it three times to understand it. Having understood it, I will come to the scientific conclusion that Hitler was a dumbass and completely insane.
    Luukas Maki
    Luukas Maki
    Panssarijääkäri

Post  Luukas Maki Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 am

Oh there is no doubt that he actually was indeed a dumbass and that Mein Kampf has been noted for being more or less a book full Hitler's random thoughts most of which are in fact crazy. For Downfall to be able to portray him in a generally neutral light however, I think that is just good movie making.
    Lukas Keisari

Post  Lukas Keisari Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm

mine must be Saving Private Ryan or Enemy At the Gates i like this because its tactical like me when i wanna be

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:15 pm